If you smell gas indoors, don’t muck around, get out of the house immediately. If you can smell gas this means there is a gas leak which can cause a fire or explosion. Once in a safe spot – call your gas supplier or a gasfitter.
Don’t turn any electrical appliances or switches on or off – a flick on or off could cause a spark and ignite the gas. This includes your phone or other mobile device.
If it’s safe to do so – also:
- keep flames and cigarettes out of the room and away from the area
- turn off all gas appliances
- turn off the gas supply at the meter or LPG cylinder
- open doors and windows.
Beware of carbon monoxide
If an appliance is poorly ventilated or faulty it can produce carbon monoxide which is poisonous, and other unpleasant gases. Breathing in even low levels of carbon monoxide can cause headaches, nausea, flushed skin, dizziness, a false sense of wellbeing, tiredness, and vomiting. If you breathe in a lot you can collapse, become unconscious, or even die.
Carbon monoxide has no smell, however it is usually accompanied by other emissions that may smell like a car exhaust or cause your eyes to water. If you suspect you or someone else has been exposed, get outside into the fresh air and get immediate medical attention. A blood test is the only way to confirm carbon monoxide exposure.
Only it can be done safely, turn off the appliance, and ventilate the room. Get a licensed gas worker to check it before you use it again.