Incorrect replacement light fitting causes fire

Energy type: 
Electricity
 
Event summary: 
A fire occurred in a domestic dwelling following the replacement of a lamp in a halogen light fitting with one with energy consumption that was too high. This resulted in overheating and subsequent ignition.
 
Accident ID: 
160918-01
 
Accident date: 
13 September 2016
 
Site: 
Domestic
 
Environment: 
Building
 
Voltage: 
230
 
Equipment: 
Light Fitting
 
Accident type: 
Fire
 
Casualty: 
Non-fatality
 
Injury: 
No injury
 
Property damage level: 
Extended to the room and structure containing the equipment
 
Outcome of investigation: 

The fire resulted from the use of a light bulb with the incorrect rating.