Gas explosion believed to have come from an LPG cylinder

Energy type: 
LPG
 
Event summary: 
The Fire Service reported a gas explosion in a residence. The gas leak was believed to have come from an LPG cylinder in the room. The windows in the room were blown out by the explosion and the ceiling was lifted. There was no consequential fire damage.
 
Accident ID: 
160819-01
 
Accident date: 
18 August 2016
 
Site: 
Domestic
 
Environment: 
Building
 
Voltage: 
1
 
Equipment: 
LPG cylinder
 
Accident type: 
Fire and explosion
 
Casualty: 
Non-fatality
 
Injury: 
No injury
 
Property damage level: 
Restricted to the room containing the equipment
 
Outcome of investigation: 

A leaking gas cylinder had filled a room with gas which was ignited by an occupant lighting a cigarette. The explosion blew out the windows and lifted the ceiling. It was not possible to determine why the gas was released from the cylinder.