Cabinet heater ignited clothes causing fire

Energy type: 
LPG
 
Event summary: 
The Fire Service notified Energy Safety of a house fire where a clothes rack had fallen onto a cabinet heater and had ignited the clothes. The bedroom was badly burned, with heat and smoke damage to other parts of house.
 
Accident ID: 
160706-01
 
Accident date: 
5 July 2016
 
Site: 
Domestic
 
Environment: 
Building
 
Voltage: 
1
 
Equipment: 
Space heater / cabinet heater
 
Accident type: 
Fire and explosion
 
Casualty: 
Non-fatality
 
Injury: 
No injury
 
Property damage level: 
Extended to the room and structure containing the equipment
 
Outcome of investigation: 

The occupant of the house was operating the cabinet heater in his bedroom. He had placed a clothes rack close to the heater. He then left the house to go out for a meal.

A neighbour noticed smoke coming from the house and called the Fire Service. The Fire Service believes the clothes rack fell onto the heater igniting the clothes.