House fire caused by washing machine

Energy type: 
Electricity
 
Event summary: 
The Fire Service Communications Centre advised Energy Safety of a rural house fire involving a washing machine. Total loss of the house was reported.
 
Accident ID: 
160809-11
 
Accident date: 
9 August 2016
 
Site: 
Domestic
 
Environment: 
Building
 
Voltage: 
230
 
Equipment: 
Washing Machines
 
Accident type: 
Fire
 
Casualty: 
Non-fatality
 
Injury: 
No injury
 
Property damage level: 
Extended to the site
 
Outcome of investigation: 

The washing machine had been repaired following a safety recall. However, the repair work performed was sub-standard and not performed in accordance with manufacturer's instructions. The technician responsible was found to be no longer living in New Zealand, so could not be held responsible. However, the other washing machines he had also worked on as part of the recall process were traced and checked/replaced by Samsung.