House fire involving an electric kettle

Energy type: 
Electricity
 
Event summary: 
The Fire Service notified Energy Safety of a house fire involving an electric kettle that caused extensive damage to the property. The house and contents were severely damaged.
 
Accident ID: 
151231 01
 
Accident date: 
26 December 2015
 
Site: 
Domestic
 
Environment: 
Building
 
Voltage: 
230
 
Equipment: 
Liquid heating; Kettles; Urns
 
Accident type: 
Fire
 
Casualty: 
Non-fatality
 
Injury: 
No injury
 
Property damage level: 
Extended to multiple rooms
 
Outcome of investigation: 

The Fire Service determined that a kettle was likely to have been the cause of a significant house fire that caused major damage. No similar fire events are known to have occurred with this model of kettle which is no longer being sold. Energy Safety is to maintain a watching brief and will review this again should another failure occur with this model.