Ebert Construction Limited
Court Summary - at a glance
- Ensure that the policy prohibiting children under the age of 15 on site was effectively communicated to all contractors, workers on site and delivery drivers through, for example by:
- covering the policy in the site induction; and
- emailing the policy to all suppliers delivering to the site.
- Ensure that once the policy prohibiting children was effectively communicated, compliance with it is effectively monitored and enforced;
Hazard identification and communication
- Ensure that inadvertent movement of delivery vehicles is identified as a hazard prior to use of the loading bay; and
- Communicate to contractors that the loading bay is situated on sloping ground prior to use of the loading bay, including an assessment of the gradient.
On the day of the incident, a driver employed by Reoco parked a truck in a designated loading bay adjacent to the construction site. The loading bay was on a slope. The driver left a child in the cab of the truck while unloading the steel. The truck rolled 22 metres downhill and hit the victim.
The victim sustained a broken pelvis, crushed bicep, three broken front teeth and one knocked out, numerous head and facial lacerations, an internal abdomen laceration and nerve damage both to his leg and abdomen