The Pallet Company (Hawkes Bay) Limited
Court Summary - at a glance
- Ensure that all pinch points on the machine are properly guarded;
- Ensure regular hazard assessments are undertaken;
- Actively monitoring the continued safe use of the machine.
- Ensuring workers are not fatigued when operating machinery.
- Complying with Australian Standard AS 4024 re Safety of Machinery or other equivalent standard, namely to isolate exposed running nip points.
- Ensure the Health and Safety Committee receives regular training.
He reached out to rotate a length of timber with his right hand to ensure that it entered the PENDU machine in the correct position. He was holding a beverage in his left hand and drinking from this when his right thumb was caught in between the exposed chain and sprocket drive of the conveyer belt system. He suffered crushing injuries to his right thumb requiring surgery and subsequent amputation of the thumb from the first knuckle.