Prior to being offered for sale in New Zealand, Electric Tools that are within the following definitions are subject to a Supplier Declaration of Conformity.
An electrical appliance which-
- is for machining, drilling, sawing, or surface preparation; and
- may be entirely supported by hand during operation; but does not include-
- a tool, portable type, promoted exclusively to industry.
Class 0 and 01 appliances are not permitted in New Zealand.
Tools portable type must comply with either:
- Standards listed under ‘Hand-held motor-operated electric tools’ section in Schedule 4 of the Electricity (Safety) Regulations 2010(external link)
- AS/NZS 3820:2009 Essential safety requirements for electrical equipment
- The Conformity Co-operation Agreement (China – NZ)