Alert: Notifications and correspondence during COVID-19 restrictions

We are operating at reduced capacity due to the COVID 19 alert level four requirements. Find out more about how to correspond and notify us during this time.

Energy type: 
Electricity
 
Event summary: 
The Fire Service notified Energy Safety of a garage fire that may have been initiated by a faulty EPOD (Electrical Portable Outlet Device). The garage was significantly damaged in the fire
 
Accident ID: 
160609-11
 
Accident date: 
24 May 2016
 
Site: 
Domestic
 
Environment: 
Building
 
Voltage: 
230
 
Equipment: 
EPODs / Power Boards / Multi-Plugs / Multi-boxes
 
Accident type: 
Fire
 
Casualty: 
Non-fatality
 
Injury: 
No injury
 
Property damage level: 
Extended to the room and structure containing the equipment
 
Outcome of investigation: 

Energy Safety determined from information provided by the Fire Service that the most likely cause of the fire was a faulty connection within a portable EPOD (multi-board) over a period of time. The specific model and brand of EPOD was not identified, nor was the pre-fire condition of the EPOD, or how old the EPOD was.