Gas leak from unattended gas heater in a vacant flat

Energy type: 
Natural gas
 
Event summary: 
WorkSafe Energy Safety was notified about an incident involving a gas leak due to a gas heater that was left switched on and unattended in a vacant flat.
 
Accident ID: 
180608-01
 
Accident date: 
7 June 2018
 
Site: 
Domestic
 
Environment: 
Building
 
Voltage: 
N/A
 
Equipment: 
Space heater flueless radiant/convection
 
Accident type: 
Gas leak or escape
 
Casualty: 
Non-fatality
 
Injury: 
No injury
 
Property damage level: 
No property damage
 
Outcome of investigation: 

A gas network operator notified WorkSafe Energy Safety of a gas escape in a vacant flat. The network operator had been called by the Fire Service who had responded to a call of the smell of gas.

WorkSafe Energy Safety understands the Fire Service asked the operator to isolate the gas to the installation. The Fire Service then forced entry and ventilated the property. They found a heater had been left turned on. It is understood another tenant said the flat sometimes had squatters.

WorkSafe Energy Safety wrote to the property management company and advised them of a landlord's obligations in regard to gas safety under regulation 75A of the gas regulations and similar such provisions under the electricity regulations. The property manager advised the heater will be removed.