Alert: Notifications and correspondence during COVID-19 restrictions

We are operating at reduced capacity due to the COVID 19 Alert Level Two requirements. Find out more about how to correspond and notify us during this time.

You might also hear from us as we proactively call businesses about how they're operating safely during Alert Level Two. 

Energy type: 
Electricity
 
Event summary: 
A fire occurred at a domestic premise as a result of an electrical power point being overloaded.

 
Accident ID: 
160409-01
 
Accident date: 
21 March 2016
 
Site: 
Domestic
 
Environment: 
Building
 
Voltage: 
230
 
Equipment: 
General LV Installation
 
Accident type: 
Fire
 
Casualty: 
Non-fatality
 
Injury: 
No injury
 
Property damage level: 
Restricted to the direct vicinity of the equipment
 
Outcome of investigation: 

A clothes dryer and refrigerator were plugged into a power point in a garage at a domestic dwelling. The power point overheated and ignited when the dryer was used. The power point melted and the timber framing was scorched.

The fire investigation concluded that the power point failed because of overloading. The cause of the fire is being treated as accidental.