About the Board
The Board was established in October 2014 by WorkSafe to perform statutory functions related to the competency requirements of workers in the extractives industry.
It was established by WorkSafe under the Health and Safety in Employment Act, 1992 and continues under the Health and Safety at Work Act, 2016 (the Act). The Board’s establishment was a specific response to the Royal Commission into the Pike River Coal Mine Tragedy’s recommendation that the regulator should have a greater role in setting and assessing competencies.
The primary functions of the Board are:
- advise WorkSafe on competency requirements for mine workers
- to examine applicants, or have applicants examined, for certificates of competence
- to issue, renew, cancel, and suspend certificates of competence
- any other function relating to training and competency requirements for participants in the extractives industry conferred on the Board by regulations under the Act.
In addition to the primary functions, it is expected that the New Zealand Mining Industry Board of Examiners will:
- Work closely with its Australian counterparts to ensure equivalent standards and to progress joint New Zealand/Australian accreditation
- Assess the required continuing professional development that must be undertaken to ensure holders of certificates of competence maintain their competency. The Board will recommend the appropriate continuing professional development required for holders of certificates to be able to have their certificates of competence renewed upon expiry
- Establish and maintain a close association with MITO or other relevant training organisations that are responsible for carrying out the training and assessment in extractives unit standards.
The Board also works with its Australian state counterparts on equivalence of standards.
Contact us for more help
If you have any questions about Certificates of Competence, Continued Professional Development or anything else relating to the New Zealand Mining Board of Examiners, please contact our Board Secretariat Team who are happy to help:
Phone: +64 4 901 4980 or